What is Health Coaching?
Health coaching (also called health and wellness coaching) is a relationship between a certified coach and an individual to help achieve their health goals. It is not therapy or counseling, but a flourishing, evidence-based, client-centered partnership that is gaining popularity around the world.
Not all health coaching programs are equal. Because the field is relatively new, different programs follow different philosophies and have different governing bodies (if any). Perfect SoundnessSM follows the ethics and standards of the National Board for Health and Wellness Coaching (NBHWC). To learn more about the NBHWC, click here (a new window will open).
What are some benefits of Health Coaching?
- Improvement in one’s diet.
- Incorporation of healthy habits (such as daily exercise).
- Stress and life management.
- Help with some health conditions and much more.
Here are related articles on Health Coaching
- American Medical Association [AMA] 2017 – 4 Reasons Why Health Coaching Works.
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention [CDC] 2013 – Identification of patients who benefit most from a Health Coaching Program in Chronic Disease Management.
- Cleveland Clinic (2021) – Health Coaches: what they do and how they can help you.
- Harvard Health Publishing/Harvard Medical School (2020) – Health Coaching is Effective. Should You Try It?
- Mayo Clinic (2014) – The Effectiveness of Wellness Coaching for improving Quality of Life.
- PLOS One Journal (2020) – Health and Wellness Coaching positively impacts individuals with Chronic Pain and Pain-Related Interference.
- U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (2017) 89-page download – The Effectiveness of Health Coaching.
If you are ready to make some changes in your life, contact me for a free virtual appointment.